Some one from http://hacktolive.org/ has created/remastered the ubuntu 8.10 with additional features ;), he calls it as super ubuntu. It has all type of media playback by default and has most of the apps.
Here is the list of features:
* System and application updates: all updates released for Ubuntu, GIMP 2.6.3, OpenOffice.org 3, Firefox 3.0.4
* Better Multimedia Support: MPlayer and VLC, DVD-playback, MP3 support and other multimedia codecs
* Better Internet experience: aMSN, aMule, Adobe Flash player and Opera
* Support for portable applications/other installation methods: Autopackage, SFS Technology, Smart Package Manager, Wine and Zero Install
* Support for more technologies: Java RE, Microsoft Office 2007 file formats, others…
* Graphical interfaces/managers: compizconfig-settings-manager (Compiz), Gufw (Uncomplicated firewall), ndisgtk (NDISwrapper) and padevchooser (PulseAudio)
* Utilities: Adobe Reader, EnvyNG, Furius ISO Mount, GParted, NDISwrapper, Ubuntu Tweak and StartUp-Manager
* Extra repositories
Download Super ubuntu:
This version of ubuntu has been created with reconstructor (http://reconstructor.aperantis.com/)
PS:I intentionally omitted GNU as this version ubuntu doesn’t confirm to GNU’s philosophy .
Ubuntu 9.04 is going to be out soon (just 1 day i guess),This is post is for 8.10 users, If you install ubuntu 8.10 in your machine, you will have download each and every media plugins from the internet.
I found an offline installer for ubuntu 8.10 that could install you with all necessary plugins to enable multimedia playback.
Read more about ubuntu offline installer here: http://hacktolive.org/wiki/Ubuntu-restricted-extras_offline_installer
Ok you have a good internet connection, you don’t want this offline installer or it doesn’t work ,you could still install all these plugins using a single command.
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
Enable all software sources in software sources list before using above command (see below picture)
Download VLC media player offline: http://hacktolive.org/wiki/VLC_offline_installer_(Ubuntu)
WARNING:The above said steps will install proprietary blobs inside your computer, if you really care about the free software philosophy and freedom, refrain from using them.